Monday, July 27, 2015

Seoul "Forest" (서울숲)

Recently, I took a small trip to Seoul Forest. My experience was mixed, so I thought I'd share it here so you can check it out yourself and perhaps form a different opinion! I am categorizing it under "Korea Budget Travel Tips" because the park is free and some extra things to do inside are cheap :)

To start off, I made a video of my small adventure to give you a feel for the place. Overall, it was very peaceful, not crowded, and a nice place to take a long walk (or jog!).




This was taken near the entrance to the forest, on the way from the subway exit. The lilies were very pretty! I believe this was the section of the forest called "Wetlands Ecological Field."


I went on a cloudy Wednesday, which might be why it wasn't crowded. However, I wonder if it would also be crowded on the weekends. I'm not sure if it's a popular place to visit or not. Mostly older people were there to exercise on their own or rest on the platform benches with each other. I did see a few couples and a few mothers with their children, however.


I quickly began to realize that this place was more of a park than a forest. The official Korea tourism website said this area used to be hunting grounds for the kings, so I was surprised to see it so developed.



Of course, the grounds were very pretty. Near the beginning as I walked around, the forest really did seem man-made. The trees even looked as though they'd been spaced apart with rulers. That's not a bad thing of course, but it definitely wasn't the natural, wild forest I had imagined. 






As I went "deeper" into the forest, I did notice the trees becoming more dense and randomly spaced. The wide walking path still remained, though.



I wanted to go across the bridge on my way back, but I didn't realize I was walking in a large circle and had made it back to the entrance before I realized it! This lake was very beautiful, though. Nearby, an elderly man was sitting on a bench and just watching the scenery. 


I'm not sure if phone booths actually work in Korea (since I've never seen anyone using them), but they're everywhere!


A playground in the forest. I really think the government should consider renaming Seoul Forest to Seoul Park! There were also recreation facilities, including tennis courts. It didn't seem like there were many large areas I didn't go into, but apparently there is also a Western-style garden, wildlife, and more.


A small apple orchard. I guess they weren't in season, but this was my first time to see a real apple tree!


At the end of my walk around the forest, I enjoyed a small picnic from foods I'd picked up at the convenience store on the way over. Yummy!

Overall, I was pretty disappointed in the size of the "forest" and in the recreational emphasis. I suppose it makes more sense to have a large park with more things to do than a large forest with nothing but small trails and ponds, especially in a metropolitan city. I think if I want that kind of experience, I'll need to venture out into the countryside!

If you want to have a more enjoyable experience here at Seoul Forest, I recommend bringing along a friend or date. Even a deck of cards, sketchbook, or book would be nice. There are areas to lay a blanket out, or platform-style benches to sit or sleep on. I was also a little pressed for time because it kept randomly sprinkling and I didn't have an umbrella, so make sure to come prepared or go on a sunny day.

Somewhere in the park is also a bike rental, where you can rent a bike for ₩3,000 per hour (about $2.50)! I wanted to do it, but couldn't find the facility. You'll also need to leave a form of ID with the rental place.


Seoul Forest (서울숲)
서울 성동구 성수1가1동 685번지 일대
685, Seongsu1-ga 1-dong, Seongdong-gu, Seoul 

Seoul Forest Station (Subway Bundang Line), Exit 3. 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful park! I especially like the water lilies. Thanks for sharing your outing with us!

    ReplyDelete